The Specialty Hospital has been certified from HCAC regarding the compliance with HCAC National Quality and Safety Goals for the year 2010
Category: Articles, Featured
By having lifelong healthy habits, you’ll see that age really is just a number.
Though you might think otherwise, the secret to aging gracefully is not found in a jar of anti-wrinkle cream. You may be able to delay or camouflage a wrinkle, but that doesn’t stop the aging process.
So, what’s the secret of people who manage to stay youthful as they age? Genes account for only a third of the factors related to aging. Your habits – healthy or otherwise – account for the rest. You may have a genetic advantage if your grandparents lived to be 100. But that doesn’t guarantee you will live that long. Likewise, if your parents died young, that does not necessarily mean that you are doomed. There are a lot of factors that are under your control.
Tried and true
Want to live longer and without illness? The research keeps coming back to healthy habits.
A study by the Public Library of Science found that you can add up to 14 years to your life by following all four of these recommendations:
- Not smoking. Smoking is linked with heart disease, diabetes, cancer and wrinkles. It’s never too late to quit. Even if you’ve been a smoker for decades, your risk for disease will drop as soon as you stop.
- Exercising regularly. Being active helps keep your mind sharp, on top of the known physical benefits. Always talk to your doctor first before you increase your activity level.
- Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables each day. Also, make sure to get enough fiber, eat fatty fish and limit foods high in saturated and trans fats (like red meat), sodium and added sugars (often in processed foods).
Add these lifestyle tips to help you feel and look younger:
- Practice good oral health. Gum disease is not only unsightly, it also raises the risk for chronic health problems like heart disease. Brush your teeth twice each day and floss once a day. See your dentist as often as he or she suggests.
- Work with your doctor. Visit your doctor and get health screenings and vaccinations as advised. This way, medical problems can be detected before they start or at an earlier stage, when treatment is more likely to work. And, take all medications as prescribed.
- Be sun-savvy. The sun causes skin cancer – the most common cancer in the U.S. The sun also ups your risk for wrinkles, and can cause eye problems like macular degeneration. If possible, avoid the sun when it’s the strongest, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. And, wear SPF 15 sunscreen or higher plus a hat when you’re outside.
- Strengthen family ties, friendships and spirituality. Having a strong social network can help ward off depression and dementia. People with strong bonds cope better and have less stress. Join a bridge club, volunteer for a local organization or become more active in your place of worship.
- Keep your mind sharp. One in four adults over age 65 say they have some memory loss, and that number rises to 40 percent for seniors over age 85. Doing activities that make you think can help ward off dementia. Read books, do puzzles, play games or take a class.
- Cope with stress. Studies show people who live to 100 tend to deal with stress well. Adopt strategies like deep breathing or yoga to cope with stress. If you feel depressed, seek help. People with depression are more likely to have other health conditions and disability.
- Be positive. An optimistic outlook on life can go a long way. People who view their lives positively have fewer health problems and a better quality of life.
By : Islam Abu-Rayya
Blogger & Online Communication Coordinator
Category: Our Employees
تتقدم اسرة المستشفى التخصصي بالتهنئة والتبريك الى موظفة العلاقات العامة / آلاء الحياري بمناسبة عيد ميلادها
كل عام وانت بألف خير وعقبال المئة سنة
Category: Articles, Featured
This article provides useful advice on how to avoid some common problems encountered in Ramadhan. If followed, it would enable one to fast comfortably and enjoy fully the spiritual benefits of Ramadhan.
Come Ramadhan, our diet is radically altered. Our meals get condensed in mornings and evenings, with no intake in-between for an extended period of time. For some of us, the intake of oily foods skyrockets. These changes in diet aren’t well received by everyone.
In the month of Ramadhan our diet should not differ very much from our normal diet and should be as simple as possible
Our diet should maintain our normal weight, although he does mention that if one is over-weight, Ramadhan is a good time to shed some pounds.
In view of the long hours of fasting, we should consume slow digesting foods including fibre containing-foods rather than fast-digesting foods. Slow digesting foods last up to 8 hours, while ast-digesting foods last for only 3 to 4 hours
Slow-digesting foods are foods that contain grains and seeds such as barley, wheat, oats, semolina, beans, lentils, wholemeal flour, and unpolished rice. These are called complex carbohydrates.
Meals in Ramadhan should be well-balanced, and they should contain foods from each food group, such as fruits, vegetables, meat/chicken/fish, bread/cereals and dairy products.
Fried foods are unhealthy and should be limited. They cause indigestion, heart-burn, and weight problems
Below are recommendations for a Ramadhan diet:
Fried and fatty foods.
Foods containing too much sugar.
Over-eating especially at suhoor.
Too much tea at suhoor: Tea makes you pass more urine taking with it
valuable mineral salts that your body would need during the day.
Smoking cigarettes: If you cannot give up smoking, cut down gradually
starting a few weeks before Ramadhan. Smoking is unhealthy and one should stop completely.
Complex carbohydrates at suhoor so that the food lasts longer making
you less hungry.
Dates are excellent source of sugar, fibre, carbohydrates, potassium
Almonds are rich in protein and fibre with less fat.
Bananas are a good source of potassium, magnesium and carbohydrates.
As much water or fruit juices as possible between iftar and bedtime so that your body may adjust fluid levels in time.
Category: Announcements, Hospital News
زوار موقع المستشفى التخصصي الكرام
سوف يقوم كادر قسم المعلومات بتحديث الموقع الرئيسي للمستشفى خلال ال24 ساعة القادمة, وبناءاً عليه سوق يتم تحويل الصفحة الرئيسية الى المدونة لحين الإنتهاء من التحديث
للدخول على الأيميل :انقر هنا
In the next 24 hours, we will reveal our new website, until that the homepage of Specialty Hospital will be redirect to our blog …
Our employees to check your email : click here
Thanks for Understanding